Choosing a new kitchen sink is an important consideration for any new kitchen. The sink is a practical part of your kitchen, but it also needs to be suitable visually too, accentuating the style and design of your kitchen space. One popular sink option is the undermount kitchen sink. But what is this? And what are the advantages of undermount kitchen sinks? Well, here at Priory Kitchen Studio, we are Preston’s leading kitchen design experts. And this is our guide to everything you should know about undermount kitchen sinks.
What is an undermount kitchen sink?
An undermount kitchen sink is one that is fitted below the kitchen worktop, instead of over the top like the more common, over-mount sink. This has a particular design style that can be incredibly effective.
What are the advantages of undermount kitchen sinks?
There are a number of advantages to installing an undermount kitchen sink. These include:
- Stylish finish- an undermount kitchen sink is the epitome of sleek and stylish. This type of kitchen sink sits below the level of the worktop so that the smooth style of your worktops really stand out, and the sink is fitted completely seamlessly. For any contemporary kitchen, this can be a great way to ensure that your kitchen sink fits with the overall kitchen style.
- Easy to clean- unlike overmount kitchen sinks, there is no lip, seal or join visible on the kitchen work-surface. This means that food and debris will not gather and collect underneath this, avoiding build ups of mold and mildew, and preventing bacteria from forming. This can not only make the sink area of your kitchen more hygienic, but it can also help make it much easier to keep clean, so that your kitchen stays looking fresh for longer.
- Make a statement- available in a range of styles and colours, your undermount kitchen sink doesn’t have to be completely hidden in side the worktop. In fact, some homes decide to leave the front sink panel on show at the front of the worktop. In any kitchen, traditional or classic, contemporary or country, this can become an attractive and bold visual design feature. This allows you to make a statement with your kitchen design.
What are the disadvantage of undermount kitchen sinks?
There are some things you should consider before opting for an undermount kitchen sink, and these include:
- More expensive installation- the undermount kitchen sink is more complicated to install, and this in turn leads to a more expensive installation.
- Structural support- the undermount kitchen sink needs to be mounted to strong kitchen worktops, so only certain worktop material choices can offer an undermount sink, because of the high level of structural support needed.
For more information or advice about installing an undermount kitchen sink in your new kitchen suite, get in touch with the team today, here at Priory Kitchen Studio.