Here at Priory Kitchen Studio, we are Preston’s leading kitchen design specialists. And we work with homeowners and property developers across Preston, and the North West, to deliver top quality, stunning kitchen solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about the important design considerations for open plan kitchens.
Why are open plan kitchens so popular?
There is a rising design trend that involves removing room dividing walls to create one large open plan kitchen and dining space. This can even be combined with the living room in some properties too. But why is this so popular? Well, an open plan kitchen can bring a range of advantages, including:
- Adding more space for cabinets and storage- A larger kitchen area in general can allow you to add more storage and cabinets to the kitchen, so that you create a space that is practical, and meets your requirements.
- A versatile design- In general, open plan kitchens can have a contemporary feel to them, and are perfect for contemporary homes and properties. That being said, an open plan kitchen can be a good option for country and farmhouse properties too, where the kitchen is the centre of the home.
What are the most important design considerations for open plan kitchens?
So if you want to create an effective open plan kitchen for your property, what should you consider? Well, there are a number of things to bear in mind, including:
- Creating well defined zones- For an open plan kitchen to be effective, you need to use zones for different activities. For example, your food preparation area needs to be clearly separate from your seating, relaxing or dining spaces. For this, you can consider a range of design details including:
- kitchen islands- kitchen islands can act as the perfect physical and visual barrier that divide one part of the kitchen from another.
- Different flooring- another option that is more subtle is to use different flooring in the different areas.
- Designing around focal points- for large open plan spaces, focal points can help give the space more grounding. Whether it’s a centre piece kitchen island, a stunning dining table, or stylish tiles, there are many ways to achieve this, and add personality and character to your space.
For more information or advice, or for your new kitchen, get in touch with the experts today, here at Priory Kitchen Studio.